Wrapping Up: Thoughts and Outlooks

In my final blog I would like to reflect on what I have covered in the series of my posts. In my first blog I brought up the need to consider Africa’s complexity, to see the land, not as a whole but to recognise the diversity it holds in all aspects. I also aimed to, with case studies of different regions in Africa, examine in detail the interaction between changing environment and water in order to reflect on water management strategies in Africa. During the process of reviewing the case studies, I have further realised that the concept of applying ‘complexity’ can go way beyond the simple physical characteristics of a place or region. The term ‘variation’ and ‘complicity’ holds not just topographical, geological and hydrogeological meaning, but social, cultural and developmental ones as well.

After my third post I encountered numerous readings that broadened my initially narrowed view of the definition of ‘environmental change’. Realising that the term can go beyond natural environmental change, such as hydrological consequences due to climate change, and represent a change towards urbanisation, I have decided to look at both natural and urban environments.

Having researched the drought in Cape Town and the intermittent water supply in Kampala, the social aspect of water and environmental change became more apparent to me in terms of social consequences and elements to be considered when making water management strategies. One of the most important factors in an urban environment in Africa is its booming urban population, leading to problems of water demand, supply and distribution. But to further unpack the demography, together with the geography of the urban environments, we should put more emphasis on the vulnerable population and the people living in the informal settlement. Water management strategies should be made or adjusted to better fit the whole population and be sustainable to the fast-changing urban environment with the help of different stakeholders.

In a retrospective, the blog discussed environmental change and water management in Africa at length; however, I have recognised that the examples I have drawn lack variety. A wider range of cities and demographics should be included for future discussion and analysis, for example, atypical urban environments and culturally-unique societies.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Groundwater, Climate Change and Water Management in Africa - An Overview

Africa: A Complex Picture

Urban Environment - Cape Town II